The Google Panda update may be old news but Google still does regular updates. Old website content can be currently hurting your website. Try some of the techniques below for overall website improvement. Setting a schedule for regular content updating can work wonders for your site.
Website Content Update Ideas:
- Update old blog posts with more data, value, visuals, and perspectives
- Combine short blog posts into one
- Remove content with little or no value to your readers
- Rewrite old content
- Add to service/product pages – these take priority over blog pages and other content pages. However, your homepage is most important
- Update landing pages
Top 3 Reasons To Update Website Content
- Readers will dismiss old website content – higher bounce rate, ignoring content, not as many clicks, inaccurate information being followed, and hurting your brand/reputation
- Identifying content – This takes more time, especially if you have many pages on your website. Audit your site before you start adding more content. There is a tool to make this easier: Panguin from Barracuda Digital connects to Google Analytics. If there are major traffic drops coordinated with major Google algorithm updates, it lets you know. Keep in mind, you had to have Google Analytics tracking at the time of the update.
- Content Length – You need more content on your pages. The overall guideline is 300-600 words. If you have thin content, especially on your service or product pages, your website ranking can suffer. This is proportional to your industry and search terms. For example, if you have a popular search term that you want to rank for and there is stiff competition, you may have to write more. If the top 10 results all have an average of 1,000 words per product/service page then step up your game.
Updating website content is also beneficial to your customers that want more information. Remember, homepage length is recommended to be 1500 words minimum. Break up the text with pictures, infographics, embedded videos, parallaxes, graphics, and more creative ideas.