Amazon keeps evolving and adding more seller services, benefits and options in order to improve the shopping experience for their customers. They’ve even enhanced their Enhanced Brand Content, or EBC, with new EBC templates.
What the new EBC templates enable is a jump, for brand registered sellers, from the five comparatively static EBC templates more versatile and accommodating templates that provide a selection of design modules.
Each module provides options for more design leeway. The new “modulized” EBC templates allow EBC creators to start from scratch, adding design modules as they deem appropriate, or they may use a predefined template (more on this below).
Benefits of Amazon's NEW EBC Templates with Modules
- More layout options (photos, banners, copy) provide greater creative leeway
- "Drag and drop" feature of new platform makes it easier to transfer your hi-res photos
- Templates built for mobile screens enable appeal to mobile users
It’s important to keep your content fresh. If you have already implemented EBC into your product listings, and would like to update your content to take advantage of these new modules, we’re here to help!
If you have brand registry, and you haven’t already taken advantage of this useful tool, let’s talk today!
Seven Modules, Lots of Options
The new EBC templates are structured to contain up to 7 modules to enable more layout options and combinations. Each template starts with a brand logo module and product description module at the top that cannot be removed or rearranged. But that is one of the few common elements, as the modules open up the possibilities for a much more unique and creative layout than was possible previously.
Modules can be added or removed to accommodate and enhance the telling of brand stories as the creative process may require. To add, move, number or delete a module, use the controls to the right of each module.
Update: The most recent change to EBC is the use of image keywords. Sellers will now be required to include image keywords, also known as alt-text, when uploading images to EBC. While these keywords will not appear on your product detail page, they offer SEO value, helping your product appear in search results. These keywords are also read by screen reader applications for customers with visual impairments, allowing them to learn more about your product.
The Modules that can be used within the new EBC templates include:
Header Image with Text
Product Details - Image Left
Product Details - Image Right
Large Image with Header and Text Below
4 Horizontal Images with Header Above and Headers with Text Below
3 Horizontal Images with Header Above and Headers with Text Below
2x2 Images with Headers and Text Below
Jump Right In with Amazon's Predefined Templates
Amazon provides 5 predefined versions of the new EBC templates. The predefined templates provide an established design jumping-off point with certain modules already included, and ready-and-waiting for content. Although predefined, they are completely customizable. The predefined templates are as follows:
- Template 1: Brand logo, product description, 2 header images, product features
- Template 2: Brand logo, product description, header image, product features
- Template 3: Brand logo, product description, header image, product features
- Template 4: Brand logo, product description, 2 header images, product features
- Template 5: Brand logo, product description, header image, product features, header image
The predefined templates are great for sellers who want to work quickly or who want to establish a consistent design theme to apply to multiple products within their brand.
EBC Content Guidelines
With a revitalized approach to EBC made possible through Amazon’s new EBC templates and their modules, it’s worth refreshing on some of the standard guidelines and restrictions that still apply.
EBC Content Tips
- Polish your product, both verbally and through imagery
- Expand on features and benefits covered in the title, bullets, and description
- Pain, with words and images, a relatable picture of the lifestyle enhancements your product can provide
- Cover the most commonly asked questions about your product to prevent returns and loss of sales
- Consider dedicating some copy to the strengthening of your brand story
- Address in depth the problems your product solves
- Write for keyword ranking in EBC
- Simply rehash what was included in your product title, bullets, and description
- Reference your company as a seller or distributor, nor provide contact information
- Mention competitor products or seller authorizations
- Include pricing or promotion information such as "lowest priced widget"
- Include information about shipping details such as "free shipping" or "shipping timelines"
- Use copyright, trademark or registered symbols that you do not own
- Make boastful comments such as "top selling product," "hottest product," or "#1 selling product"
- Use time-sensitive product information, such as "on sale now" or "best new product of the year"
- Replicate or quote customer reviews from Amazon or any other site
- Add editorial or third-party quotes from external sources such as magazines and television shows
- Provide blurry or low-quality images or images containing unreadable text
- Include lifestyle images that do no show the product (although brand images used to tell the "brand story" are not required to contain the product)
- Duplicate image content from the main image block on the detail image
- Include language regarding warranties or guarantees
- Attempt to mimic Amazon logos, detail page headings, or details
- Include logos from brands or organizations other than your own, nor multiple brand logos on an image
- Include web links or language attempting to redirect to other sites inside or outside of Amazon (including your other products)
- Make grammatical errors, punctuation errors, misspellings, strings of all-caps text, or abusing font features
- Use bold and italic formatting except to highlight headings or a few select words
- Make any mention of products being used for criminal activity
- Violate category requirements or Selling on Amazon policies
How do I get access to the templates for EBC pages?
EBC is only available to brand owners, so you must register your brand with Amazon Brand Registry. From there, you can access EBC. If you are a registered brand owner, you can easily access EBC from the advertising menu. Note that brand registry, and therefore EBC, are not available to sellers in the media, video, digital, or book categories.
Why should I add EBC to my listings?
It’s an opportunity to address your customer’s most common questions by providing relevant product details to spur purchase decisions and can also reduce the chances of having products returned.
Can I add video?
Not yet, but stay tuned and make sure you are registered in the brand registry in order to receive updates on this and other changes.
For more FAQ's, visit the comprehensive listing of EBC-related FAQ's on Amazon's Seller Central site.
Amazon is a dynamic marketplace with additions and changes happening constantly for 3P sellers. Rely on Awesome Dynamic to save you time and money in getting the most from Amazon. Demand Awesome! ®