What Is Google Amp?
AMP stands for Accelerated Mobile Pages Project. It's an easy to use platform to get mobile pages in better shape in terms of mobile functionality, speed, and user experience. Google just rolled this out and your web developer can help you with this. It's a huge opportunity to get ahead of your competition in mobile search engine results. Responsive websites are more important than ever with steadily increasing traffic moving away from desktop and toward mobile. Many big tech companies are using it in their platforms.
A huge advantage of using Google AMP is that it provides a framework for speedier web pages. This is a big problem right now in mobile friendly and responsive websites. People are very impatient when it comes to websites loading quickly and even though your desktop site may load perfectly, there may be some disconnect in your mobile site. Google AMP reduces the load time of cookies. One example is images will only show up when the user is actually looking at them on their screen. According to adage.com, AMP pages actually load up to 85% faster than a comparable mobile website.
Benefits of AMP Responsive Websites
- Ability to monetize with ads - website load time has been a challenge in the past with the addition of ads in responsive websites
- Increased mobile analytics data & speed - multiple sources for tracking analytics can actually slow down a website's speed
- Images and content only load when being viewed and load quickly
How To Get Started
Ask your web developer to do the following:
- install the wordpress plugin
- validate in webmaster tools/search console
- validate Schema Markup
- Connect with Google Analytics
The following may occur when using AMP for responsive websites. There are ways around some of these items but the system is also brand new. There will be modifications to come. Check out some tips in this AMP article.
- You will need 2 versions of mobile pages on your site
- No lead forms
- No comments
- Rewriting site template
- Reoptimizing images
- YouTube videos need to be embedded in a certain way
- Social media may need different extended components