When Google puts its Shaq sized shoe down, people listen. April 21st is the date that your website has to be mobile friendly, also known as mobile armageddon. There are 3 ways to do this: creating a responsive website, dynamic serving or a separate mobile site such as DudaMobile. A responsive site has the most advantages but can also be the most timely to set up. No, your website won’t explode but it might as well because your small business will be blasted off the Google results you normally come up for. Don’t fall behind your competitors online!
Interesting to note:
Google will evaluate your website page by page. You get a “pass/fail” grade as Google determines that you either pass with a mobile friendly website or your site is non-mobile friendly. Another great item to look for: Blended rank – this takes into account all Google search results including location, mobile results, desktop results, videos, and more.
Check if Your Website is Mobile Friendly:
Use these cheat sheets to check if your website is mobile friendly and how to fix it:
Most common mobile issues (according to Google):
- avoid software that is not common on mobile devices like flash
- readable text without zooming
- content sizes on screen so no horizontal scroll or zoom
- place links far apart so correct one can be easily tapped
- css and image files
- faulty redirects, mobile only 404s
- irrelevant cross links (when users are linked to desktop optimized pages from mobile version of site or vice versa)
- slow mobile pages
Ask your web developer to fix these today or have AwesomeDynamic.com do it for you. AwesomeDynamic can help whip your website into shape with a responsive website by working with your current web team as another option. Don’t get left out and slip off Google!