Top Website Writing & Design Tips
If you're trying to get serious about your website, this is a great place to start for improvement. Website writing and design is essential for your site visitors and it makes it easier for Google to scan your page as well. These writing and design tips were developed specifically for you by a professional web designer, graphic artist, and SEO (search engine optimization) experts.
Why Should I Care About Website Writing?
- Increase time on site
- Increase Google ranking
- Increase # of pages visited by each person
- Add to the Look & Feel
- Add Instant Trust
- Decrease bounce rate
The #1 Golden Rule
Most important to keep in mind is: DOES IT LOOK GOOD? You can have excellent content written by industry experts that follows every rule out there. But if people see huge blocks of text that is small and hard to read, you're out of luck!
5 Big Steps To Whip Your Website Writing Into Shape
1. General Guidelines:
Content paragraph Font size 15px
Font Style is Open-sans - easiest to read and looks the best
- H1 size: 30px
- H2 size: 26px
- H3 size: 24px
- H4 size: 22px
- H5 size: 18px
- H6 size: 16px
The Main Heading for the page should always be an H1, and there will be space between the bottom of the heading and the next element.
All other subheadings will be H2-H6 - which can be spread throughout the page
Spacing of items: Margins should be the same all around the page, including the gutters
Slideshows: to be up to the bottom of the header
Photos: the name needs to be meaningful, ie Company Name and Keyword
- Sub-nav menu needs to have content on one line and no wrapping to a second
- If there are dropdowns in the navigation, the main text should not be linked and only drop downs should be linked.
- Contact information to be upper right - phone number should be visible so people can call
- Logo to link to home page
- © with auto update year
- Contact info should also be here - with schema markup
5. Body Content:
- Content should not span the full width of the page
- Bullet points should be used to break up text for easier reading
- Content needs to be meaningful for the reader