Why Online Content Protection Is Important
Anyone who can visit your website can steal your website content, including competitors. Protect website content that you have worked hard to create. Your entire website must have original content. That means if you sell a product and the manufacturer gives you a booklet or paragraphs on that product, you have to rewrite it. If you don’t, then your website could be suffering from major penalties right now from Google and search engines. Protect your blog content and your static product or service pages.
Check it Out
Here’s some easy resources that you can use to check if someone stole your content complete with approximate time estimates:
5 minutes Copyscape.com – Check your duplicate content within your site and on competitor sites
5 minutes Duplichecker.com – Another version of copyscape. Always good to check 2 sources.
3 minutes NSLOOKUP – Finds competitor’s ip address/location
3 minutes Whois Lookup– great for finding information of who is behind the website who is plagiarizing you. Contact the owner directly and if they do not comply, then you can contact the web hosting company and inform them of their customer’s abuse.
5 minutes How can you prove it’s your content and you wrote it first? Waybackmachines.org
3 minutes – Google.com – Simply copy and paste a sentence or a paragraph from a page of your website and Google will let you know if someone has the same exact content on their site. Repeat for all pages of your website, especially products/services.
What You Can Do
Prevention & Actions
Don’t feel like you’re helpless. There are many options in all price ranges, time constraints, and resources for even the smallest of businesses. You can start with your heaviest pages of content first such as your product/service/blog pages. Don’t forget to add some of these items below when you create a new page or apply it to your whole site at once.
- 10 minutes Plugins – WordPress protection, Wordpress protection lite, wp-copyprotect, wp content copy protection. Most are free and disables right mouse click and other functions
- 15 minutes https://www.dmca.com/ – Free and paid options: Prevention with badges, 1 free DMCA content takedown per year, professional takedowns starting at $199 or DIY for $10/month
- 5 minutes per site: Go old school: e-mail or call the website to take down the content and, as an added benefit, ask them for a backlink to your site instead of stealing your content – in a nice way of course!
- 10 minutes Add badges/banners/warnings on your policies page or at the footer of your website for copyright or plagiarism warnings or permission policies
- 20 minutes plus legal time: Send a formal cease and desist letter that they must remove the stolen content using a template from the internet.
- 15 minutes File a digital millennium copyright act DMCA infringement with search engines to have the site removed from search results.
- 10 minutes (if you have an existing Google Plus Profile) – Google Authorship – prevents plagiarism by connecting your original content to your profile
- 10 minutes https://creativecommons.org/ – protects your original images